Thursday, 3 April 2014

The lasts...

The Lasts...

Seeing as this is the start (of what I imagine/dream/wish) will be a long and fruitful blogging experience, I thought what better time than now to write about endings….?


Today, I sat in my last ever (EVER!) undergraduate lecture. Yes, it was monotonous. And yes, I spent half my time on my phone. But, I wasn’t bored. I was/am experiencing what some (The cast of How I Met Your Mother) call ‘Graduation Goggles’. Urban Dictionary defines ‘Graduation Goggles’ as: ‘The relief and nostalgic feeling one has about a time in their life when it is about to end, even if the time was completely miserable.’ Lectures may have been slightly unbearable but, because today was my last one, I didn't find myself falling asleep or getting frustrated with a phone that refused to connect to the wi-fi.  



I wouldn’t ever describe my time at University as being ‘completely miserable’. Quite the opposite; it has been the best. Filled fun of amazing people, experiences and memories. However, being talked at for an hour (Don’t get me started on two hour lectures) by a lecturer who reads off the slides doesn’t sound like the best of times. In the years to come when I reminisce with friends about university, not once will I say: ‘Remember that really good time in that one lecture??’ It’s just not going to happen. This being said, I will fondly remember the hours spend bonding over the mutual feeling of boredom with my lecture buddies.

Though we come to University to learn about the past of our chosen subject to carve a future for ourselves, we learn a lot more than this. There are just some things that cannot be learnt in a lecture theatre. Although, there are some important things i learnt in my lectures: how to nap and play angry birds without being noticed, how to doodle the perfect eye, how to almost silently whisper and a few (well, a lot) businessey things.

On a serious note, I have enjoyed learning business strategies and other technical type things. Just not when it’s a 2 hour lecture at 9am on a Monday. 

I have no doubt in my mind that, at one point, I will be saying, ‘Give me a lecture any day over this.’

I guess the saddest part of it is... that it is the beginning of the end.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment